Monday, August 22, 2011

Grilled Blackened Pork Chops

I certainly think that meat and especially grilled meat seems to be the thing I like to eat and cook the most. Above is a picture of a big plate of grilled pork chops. They were amazing and my hubby and I, who are huge carnivores, rolled up our sleeves and chewed the meat off of the bone. Vegans would not like my house very much, I'm afraid. Due to my meat obsession, making the transition to eating Paleo was not that difficult. Now don't get me wrong, I love pasta and bread. However, as I am learning, they are not so good for me. I decided to give the paleo a shot. It should be said that I don't eat meat from any place except Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. Only hormone free, humanely treated/killed, and happy animals make their appearance on my plate.

Recipe for Grilled Pork Chops

Four bone-in center cut pork chops (less than one inch thick)*
Blackening seasoning**
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Juice of lemon or lime

*rub vigorously with spice mixture and let sit for two hours (overnight if possible)
**see recipe below

Rub your chops with a generous amount of rub. Drizzle with olive oil. Set up grill with coals on one side. When the fire is ready (coals should be slightly ashy), place pork chops on hot side of grill. You really want the fat around the edges to get charred. Once nice and charred (3 minutes per side) move chops over to the cooler side of grill and cover. Using an instant read thermometer, pork chops should be cooked to like 140 (it is okay if they are slightly pink). When you touch them, they should have a little give, but not be too hard. Once finished, let sit for 5 minutes and drizzle with lemon or lime.

Blackening Spice (wonderful on all meats)

Years ago, a chef at the Radisson taught me how to make this rub. He could make a mean prime rib. It is really an eye ball kind of thing. He taught me how to make it on a plate. You don't need to know exact measurements, I don't think. This recipe makes a lot. You can store this in the freezer or in a tupperware in your spice drawer.

The base of this rub is paprika. You want half of your plate to be paprika. Then you add equal parts garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, cumin, pepper and salt (on the other side of the plate). You would then add cayenne. This spice is hot and you want to use it carefully. Taste as you go. It should be spicy, salty, and flavorful.

No comments:

Post a Comment