Saturday, January 14, 2012

Paleo Coconut Chocolate Truffles


I was invited to a cookie party in the neighborhood and was asked to bake some cookies. I am a horrible baker and I did not have many options for baking without using gluten free mixes. Since I try to regulate my carbs, I decided to make a 100% paleo desert. I ended up making a quick and easy chocolate truffle. They were super rich and perfect for the chocolate purist. Here is what I did. Remember that the whole process including cooling and rolling will take up to 4 hours, but a lot of this time is hands-off. (This makes about 18-20 truffles)

Feel free to do whatever you want. This recipe is versatile. You will need one big pot for the water, a glass bowl for the chocolate and a small saucepan for the milk/butter. I melted a bag of good quality semi-sweet chocolate chips over a double broiler. This is simply melting the chocolate in a glass bowl that you place over a pot of (gently) simmering water. The steam melts it gently.

1) Place several inches of water in a pot.
2) As your pot of water comes to a simmer. Place 8 ounces of heavy cream and two TBL of butter in a small saucepan.
3) Pour your chocolate chips into a glass bowl and place over simmering pot.
4) Slowly begin to melt the chocolate.
5) Heat cream and butter in a small saucepan. Remove when you see bubbles on the side.
6) Once the chocolate is shiny and smooth, slowly add the cream mixture to the melting chocolate.
7) After the chocolate is melted and the butter/cream is added, add 1/2 cup of chopped nuts and 1 TBL of Orange Liquor (Kahlua would be delish). Espresso would also be amazing.
8) Mix this together in the big glass bowl.
9) I placed the bowl of chocolate mixture on my back porch because it is cold in Chicago. You will need the chocolate to cool for 2 hours.
10) Half way through the cooling process, go check on your chocolate and mix it around. It should begin to be firm.
11) Once the mixture is firm (really thick), you will want to roll the truffles.
12) Using a spoon, I scooped a spoonful of chocolate mixture into my hands and rolled it into a ball. You will be covered with chocolate, but just wash your hands when you need to. Do this step quickly, as the chocolate will begin to melt.
13) I covered a plate with coconut and rolled the chocolate around in the coconut. Cocoa powder or powdered sugar would be pretty too.
14) Once the balls are rolled, place them back outside or in the fridge for one more hour.

Now you have rich chocolaty goodness. I have to confess that they were too rich for me. I prefer cheese and salami to chocolate, but for those of you who love chocolate, you will love these.

No comments:

Post a Comment