Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Easy Sausage and Cabbage Bake

This recipe was taken from Mark Sisson, who wrote the Primal Cookbook. It is a Paleo friendly meal, but could be served with potatoes on the side. I like the idea of cooking things in one pot and this one is super easy for busy home cooks. We ate ours with mustard and giardinara, which is spicy pickled vegetables packed in oil. My hubs can not eat any sort of sausage without giardinara. I am somewhat addicted to it too. I think I may need to come up my own recipe using olive oil instead of the commonly used canola oil.

Sausage and Cabbage (serves 4)


1) Preheat oven to 375.
2) Thinly slice green cabbage
3) Thinly slice pork kielbasa. Ours was nitrite free. If using turkey, add more fat to the recipe.
4) Scatter cabbage in a baking dish
5) Place sausage on top of cabbage in one even layer
6) Dollop bacon grease or butter on top of the sausage
7) Salt and Pepper the entire thing
8) Cover the casserole and put in oven for 30 minutes
9) Remove foil and cook for 10 more minutes
10) Serve with mustard or hot pickled vegetables (whatever you like!)

This was a winner. The cabbage was cooked perfectly and honestly, there is no better combination than cabbage and sausage. I actually assembled mine the day before so when I got home, I could immediately put the casserole dish in the oven. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment