Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Spice Rubbed Flank Steak=Yum

Um, yeah. We eat a lot of beef in my house. Like a lot. My husband loves flank and skirt steak, which is fine with me since they are cheaper and leaner than ribeyes and strips. They are perfect for a busy home cook and a week night dinner. Of course, I cooked it too rare and had to throw the hubs' steak back on the grill. Sigh, he has not acquired my taste for rare meat. A rub, like I have discussed before, truly works wonderfully on a flank or skirt steak. This was a grass fed flank steak from Whole Paycheck that I had frozen in my freezer. I thawed it out on Tuesday and rubbed it with a rub on Wednesday before work. Wednesday night....steak dinner. Here is what I did.

Grass-Fed Flank Steak (feeds 4)


1 pound of flank steak
1-2 TBL of EVOO
1 TBL of rub (I used my blackening seasoning which includes salt/pepper)

1) In the morning, take out steak and pierce it with a fork all over. Rub it with the spice mixture and a good splash of olive oil. Rub the mixture into the meat. Put it in a baggie or wrap it back up in the butcher paper
2) When you come home, take it out on the counter to get ready for the grill (at least 30 min)
3) Set up medium sized grill with coals on one side
4) It is ready when the coals are glowing but slightly ashy. Put meat on hot part of grill (over coals)
5) Cook for a total of 12 minutes for medium rare
6) Flip after 5-6 minutes
7) Let rest 5 minutes
8) ALWAYS ALWAYS slice flank, skirt, tri-tip, and brisket AGAINST the grain. Look at the grains in the meat. Cut the opposite direction of the grain

Spice rubbed steak after 12 hours 

After spending 10 minutes on the grill. It is easy to see the grain running horizontally

Sliced and ready to eat, but too rare for the hubs

Thank goodness we are both carnivores in my family. I love steak, like a ton. Cheers!

1 comment: