Monday, September 19, 2011

Really Good Pork Tenderloin

Grilled Mustard Pork Tenderloin

I went to a baby shower for my awesome Zumba teacher yesterday. I decided to bring pork tenderloin sandwiches because who does not like pork tenderloin sandwiches? I remember going to parties in the South and there always being a tray of pork tenderloin with a basket of rolls and Jezebel sauce. I wanted to put my own spin on these sandwiches and update them a little. I rubbed mine in mustard and let sit for one day. I grilled them, sliced them, and served them with three different sauces. Remember, buns are certainly optional. My hubs was my official taste tester and he voted the Teriyaki reduction as being the best. Here is what I did.

Pork Tenderloin with Three Sauces (Serves 4) 


1 Pork Tenderloin (I used 3 loins because it was for a party)
1/4 cup of dijon mustard
Salt and Pepper
EVOO
Dinner rolls (optional)

For Sauces:

Mayonnaise
Chipotle in Adobo Peppers
Sour Cream
Mustard
Teriyaki
Orange Marmelade or Apricot Preserves
Salt/Pepper
EVOO

For Pork: 


1) Season both sides of pork tenderloin with salt/pepper
2) In a plastic baggie, mix mustard and olive oil (maybe like 2-3 Tbls of EVOO)
3) Add pork to the baggie
4) Make sure the pork is coated and then place in the refrigerator
5) Let sit 12-24 hours
6) When it is time to cook the meat, start your grill. I made a small fire because I didn't have much charcoal and did not want to make a huge fire that would burn my pork.
7) Place pork on hot side of grill when coals are ashy. If the fire is too big and the meat is smoking, cover the grill and it will calm it down a bit
8) Flip the pork when one side is browned (maybe like 4 minutes per side)
9) When both sides are browned and caramelized, put the cover on the grill so they will cook slowly
10) If cooking the pork ahead of time and reheating, pull the pork when the internal temp registers 140
11) If cooking and eating immediately, pull the pork at 155. It will continue to cook off of the grill

This pork was so good. They were smoky and tender. Maybe the best tenderloin I have ever made. The mustard tenderizes the meat. Try this recipe now. Seriously.

I made three different sauces. Sauces are simple, but fancy. They do add something to your food and make your friends and family think you worked really hard!

Chipotle Mayo


Mix one cup of store bought good quality mayonnaise with two (or 3) finely chopped chipotle peppers. Chipotle peppers come in a can and are simply pickled jalapenos. They are quite spicy so be careful. Mix together, taste and then season with salt/pepper. Simple and yummy. Serve this sauce with sandwiches or fish tacos!

Mustard Sour Cream Spread


Mix one cup of full fat sour cream (reduced fat is okay) with 1/4 cup dijon mustard and 1/4 stone ground mustard. Mix well. Taste and add salt/pepper as needed. This sauce is wonderful for beef or prime rib.

Teriyaki Reduction


This sauce is simple, but absolutely delicious. I didn't eat too much of it because there was gluten in the teriyaki sauce that I bought. Did you know that soy sauce has gluten in it? Use Tamari for gluten free soy. Anyway, I poured about 10 ounces of teriyaki sauce in a sauce pan and let it reduce, reduce, and reduce. It was thick and super salty. To decrease the saltiness, I stirred in 1 TBL of mustard, 1 TBL of orange marmalade (apricot preserves would have been awesome too!) and 1 TBL of EVOO. I stirred vigorously and it came out perfect. Use this sauce as a glaze for pork tenderloin, ribs, or chicken. 

*Remember that when glazing meats, only glaze them in the last 5-10 minutes of cooking. There is a lot of sugar in this glaze, so it will burn VERY easily. Only glaze at the end. The same is true for BBQ chicken or ribs.

Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment