Sunday, November 13, 2011

Eating Locally

1/4 of an Illinois raised pig

So this may seem a bit morbid, but I bought a 1/4 of a pig from a small family owned farm. The pig came butchered and wrapped. This is the first time I have ever done anything like this. Since beginning a low carb and high protein diet, I have been eating more meat than ever. I wanted to see if this would end up saving me money. I think it did. Next time I do this, I will know what to tell them I want. I was a little bit unsure about what cuts I wanted. I ended up getting lots of sausage, center cut pork chops, two pork shoulder roasts, spare ribs, and pork tenderloin. My bacon and ham have not come yet, as they require 30 days to cure. This is one way in which I am attempting to eat locally and support small businesses. Look into this option in your area. I don't why I didn't do this when I lived down south...tons of farm land there.

No comments:

Post a Comment