Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Lamb Roast

I love Lamb and I love roasts. When it gets cold here, I love to braise. Here is a lamb roast I made recently. The sauce was a little weird, so I am changing what I did for the recipe presented here. I love Lamb anyway it is cooked.

Roasted Leg of Lamb 
Roasted Leg of Lamb with Tomatoes and Olives (6-8 Servings)

1 Leg of Lamb (around 3-4 pounds)
2 cans of tomatoes
1/4 cup of stock or wine
1 TBL of EVOO
6 cloves garlic (finely diced)
1 medium onion (diced)
1/4 cup of pitted kalamata olives (left whole)
2 TBL of oregano leaves (chopped)
Salt/pepper

PREHEAT YOUR OVEN TO 350. You will need a shallow roasting pan for this recipe. Generously salt and pepper the lamb. Pour EVOO in the roasting pan. Sear the lamb in olive oil until browned on all sides. Remove and put on plate. Deglaze with wine or stock. Let evaporate. Add onions to pan and saute until translucent. Add tomatoes, oregano, garlic, and oregano. Simmer. Add lamb and juices on the plate back into the pan. Add olives. Put in oven at 350 for one hour. Check with a meat thermometer at 45 minutes. Lamb should not be overcooked. This is a lean piece of meat and will dry out. Internal temp should be 125-130.

When the lamb is finished, remove and set aside. Reduce the tomato mixture while the lamb rests. Serve with roasted asparagus or green beans. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment