Sunday, November 13, 2011

The WOW-Factor

Fresh herbs

Carrots, parsnips, celery, onion, and mushrooms make a great base for soups and sauces

We eat with our eyes first; Mango and avocado drizzled with EVOO and dusted with mexican spices

I have lots of things that I do to impart flavor to my food.  For example, I season my food every time I add a new ingredient. I drizzle my food with olive oil to finish. I scatter chopped herbs on top for wow factor. Lemon wedges are my friend. They add brightness and acidity to food.

Here are some things that you can do at home to make your food taste awesome.

1) Cooking with Herbs

I always cook with fresh herbs. I use them for most of what I do. Use herbs for pestos, herb vinaigrettes, herb sauces for steak and chicken, as well as for a garnish for soups and sauces. They make food taste fresh. Feel free to crust salmon with herbs or sprinkle herbs into soups as they cook. In a blender, puree garlic, parsley, basil, and mint with olive oil for a quick accompaniment to steak. Use them, they are much better than dried herbs.

2) Starting with a Good Foundation

Carrots, celery and onion are super important. They are a great foundation for most everything. I chop them fine for tomato sauce. I leave the pieces big for soups and stews. I keep the veggies frozen for stocks. In french cooking, they are called the Mirepoix. This is a fancy word that refers to using carrots, celery and onion as a base for soups, stocks, and sauces. They are your best friend. Other cultures have  similar things. Cajuns have the Holy Trinity (celery, onion, and bell pepper). Latin cooking has a Sofrito, which is celery, onion, and bell pepper. Regardless, keep these veggies in your fridge. They will come in handy and are truly instrumental in making your food pop.

3) Cooking with Color

Don't be afraid to make beautiful colorful plates. We eat with our eyes first. I like to serve mango and avocado together on a plate. I like to sprinkle a mexican spice blend I bought in mexico on top. It is red and looks gorgeous. Paprika and chili powder would work just fine. Add parsley at the end to finish a dish. Serve lemon or lime wedges with meats. It makes a plate pop. Sprinkle paprika on deviled eggs or potato salad. I think the Caprese salad (mozzarella, tomato and basil) is so popular because it is beautiful. It is the colors of Italy and really interesting to look at. One of my fave salads is a colorful Mexican salad with chopped Jicama, tomatoes, peppers, corn, black beans, and avocado. Sprinkle with salt/pepper, olive oil and lime juice. Stir. To finish, sprinkle paprika and cilantro. LOTS OF COLOR!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment