Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Eat your Veggies!

Roasted Asparagus with Vidalia Onion and Sun Dried Tomato Saute
When I lived in Seattle, I fell in love with vegetables. My friend Mark and I would always share this smoky, crunchy, spicy broccoli at this restaurant in Belltown. It was charred and cooked perfectly. When I was back in Seattle (with Mark again), we went to Sitka and Spruce and I had the best asparagus dish I have EVER had. Lord knows, I don't know if I can ever re-create that dish. It had a sundried tomato and cashew (or marcona almond) salsa on top. OMG. Really, vegetables are a vehicle for lots of bold and brave flavors. They don't have to play second fiddle to the other things on the plate. Here are some thoughts on Asparagus.

Asparagus (like green beans actually) is quick cooking and super versatile. I always try to make it taste really good. I sometimes wrap proscuitto around the asparagus and cook it like that or I will serve it with an aioli. Sometimes, I will blanch them and serve them cold with other vegetables covered in a vinaigrette. Last night, I used leftover Vidalia onions and sun dried tomatoes. It was really tasty. Here is what I did.

Asparagus with Onion and Sundried Tomato Saute

1 bunch of asparagus
1/4 vidalia onion diced
6 oil packed sundried tomatoes chopped (keep the oil)
salt and pepper

Again, I used my trusty castiron griddle. I love it so! I heated it up super hot and sauteed my onions in some of the oil from the tomatoes (no need wasting that tasty stuff). When soft, I moved them over and added my asparagus. To prep asparagus, bend each stalk. It should break easily at the base. Discard the bottom part (it is woody and tough). Place asparagus on hot griddle. Let sit. Salt and Pepper. Move around slightly but leave them unattended primarily. This should take about 7 minutes. You don't want overcooked asparagus. Gross. Move them around and allow them to char. When they are finished, scatter onions and sundried tomatoes on top. Salt and Pepper to taste. The stalks should be crisp-tender. I served these with a stuffed bell pepper. Yummy!

1 comment:

  1. Sundried tomatoes remind me of my grandfather who grew his own tomatoes, dried them, and packed in oil. I think my mom still has some of the oil filled glass jars in our pantry at her house, can't part with them.

    ReplyDelete