Monday, August 29, 2011

Steamed Artichokes with Lemon Aioli

I have recently branched out and made some fresh artichokes. I have always loved them, but have been super scared to actually buy the fresh ones. They are intimidating with all of those spikes. I attempted them a couple weeks ago and with the guidance of my aunt who lives in Turkey, I decided to steam them and serve them as an appetizer. Last night, I cooked them again and they were even better this time. When steamed, the leaves of the artichokes pull off very easily. My husband and I dipped each little leaf in a delicious lemony mayonnaise. We demolished those artichokes and left nothing but a pile of leaves and fur. Here is how I did it.

Discarded Artichoke Parts

Cleaned Artichokes on a steamer basket

Finished product after 30 minutes of steaming

Steamed Artichokes (serves 2)

Ingredients:

2 Medium sized artichokes
1 Lemon
Salt and Pepper
2 Tbls Mayonaise with Olive Oil
2 Tbls Greek Yogurt (2% or total)
Splash of Red Wine Vinegar

There are several steps to cleaning artichokes.

1) Pull off hard leaves at the bottom of the artichokes. About one row of leaves is sufficient.
2) Cut off bottom of artichoke at the base (see picture)
3) Cut off top one inch of artichoke
4) Using scissors, cut off the spikes on the end of each leaf

Once the artichoke is cleaned (it does not have to be perfect), get a steamer basket out. I use a red rubber insert that I put in the bottom of a pan. Place the artichokes on top. Turn on burner and cover for 30 minutes. Don't forget to make sure there is enough water throughout the steaming process. Mine evaporated last night and was slightly smelly before I added more water.

Once steamed, place aside. They are hot. Serve with lemon aioli.

Lemon Aioli Recipe*

*A traditional aioli is a homemade mayonnaise with additions like garlic, lemon or herbs. I didn't make my own mayonnaise. I took store bought help. Feel free to rock your own mayo if you choose.

2 tbls store bought mayo (I use organic olive oil mayo, but any mayo is fine)
2 tbls greek yogurt (not non-fat)
Splash of red wine vinegar
Salt and Pepper
Zest of half a lemon
Splash of Olive Oil

In a small bowl, measure out yogurt and mayo. Mix. Add in a splash of vinegar. Mix. Season with salt and pepper. Mix and taste. Zest half a lemon into the mixture. Mix again and splash with olive oil. Taste. This is such an easy sauce that is good on asparagus, green beans and meats, like fish and chicken. This recipe is wonderful and a nice way to incorporate veggies into picky eaters. Happy eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment