Monday, August 29, 2011

Eating like a Caveman: Sushi Style

Seared Ribeye layered with tomato, avocado, and sprinkled with raw onion

Tuna Poke on top of thinly sliced cucumbers
One of the challenges of eating out is knowing what to pick, especially if you have dietary restrictions. Before going paleo, I did not have much trouble. I have been on Weight Watchers on and off for years and have gotten good at knowing what are smart choices and what are not. It is a little more complicated with Paleo eating. Strict Paleo eating does not include rice, corn, potatoes, beans, grains...basically anything from Neolithic times (i.e. everything!). My friend Danielle had a birthday and we went out for sushi at Makisu Sushi Bar and Lounge. It was really good and both of us were skeptical because it was in the burbs. What a surprise! After studying the menu, I basically picked two dishes of raw meat...now that's caveman eating. Eating out does not have to mean breaking the diet or going without. I would go back and probably order exactly the same thing!


2 comments:

  1. Tuna Poke available on appetizer menu at Bordino's in Fayetteville. I recommend ordering 2 of them. In fact, on the note of eating out, I highly recommend checking into ordering multiple meat appetizers when out to eat. There's usually at least one or two relatively good purely meat options. Another Fayetteville example is the pork shoulder appetizer (about 6 bucks for approx 3oz) served with apple slices. I order 2 all the time, and it's easily as much protein as any of the 20-30$ entres

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed Matt. I will order two appetizers frequently. The tuna poke and the beef were appetizers. Entrees usually come with starchy sides. I love pork for appetizers especially cured meat plates or shoulder or ribs.

    ReplyDelete